Sunday, May 8, 2011

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage...

I had such high expectations when I started this process. However, I am starting to realize that there is really no hope for a woman of my age. I am too old to have kids and too young to date someone who is 50. This sucks (insert scream here).

Trying to draw on the positives here...it gets me out of the house, I get to eat at nice restaurants, and it looks to outsiders that I am leading a normal life (this offers little consolation though).

Last Monday I had date #7. It was another first (and only) date. I had high hopes for this guy. He's a teacher (social studies). I figured he'd be a fairly good conversationalist...but he was more of a talker than a conversationalist.

He told me about how he loves to travel (within the US that is). When he asked about whether I liked to travel and I had told him I'd been to Botswana, Zambia, Madagascar, China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands, etc...his response was, "wow, that's adventurous".

He then proceeded to tell me that everything he needs to know about foreign counties he could learn through reading books. Big red flag. Now, I don't expect everyone to have traveled extensively, but it would be great if they at least had an interest in it, and not think that a person can learn everything about a country by simply reading about it. That seems so shortsighted.

As I was telling a friend this story, she pointed out to me that she actually found it scary that a teacher would say something like that and that she wouldn't want a person like that teaching her child. I hadn't looked at it from that point of view since I don't have kids, but I can see where she's coming from.

At any rate, he was a nice person and I am sure there's a girl out there for him. But it isn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment