Saturday, February 5, 2011

5 February 2011

This is my first attempt at blogging. I debated for two weeks before deciding to start a blog. I've always enjoyed writing and thought it might be fun to write about life.

I am thirty-something, single, and have a great career. I love traveling and try and go somewhere at least once a year. Although, the last couple of years it has been every other year as the trips I've been taking have gotten a little grander, Madagascar in 2010 and Botswana in 2008.  At any rate, I've been thinking about my desire for a long-term relationship. You know, a nice guy to share the ups and downs of life. I tried the on-line dating scene on and off through out my mid-twenties to early-thirties without much luck.
Now in my late thirties, I recently decided to join a matchmaking service.

Now mind you, I am not overly confident in their abilities to find me someone with whom I will be compatible. I think that I've just not had the best luck, so I'm a little bit cynical. The up side is that I am meeting new guys and dining out...I feel like I actually have a life outside of work.

To date, I have been on three dates and have a fourth this evening.

My first date was with Dave, 38, never married, no kids, a business man for a large, and well respected company. We had a really great time. The conversation flowed flawlessly. We had a lot in common and seemed to have similar philosophies and approached life in a similar manner. He was about a foot taller than me (I'm only five feet tall) and was nice looking, but not stunning; just your average guy next door. He mentioned that he'd like to go out again and I agreed (I had a great time); we exchanged info and I was in a great mood. A few days later he sent me a text just to say hi, that was thinking about me and was planning to call me the next day. I never heard from him again.

My second date was with Rob, 37, never married, no kids, a physician. He got to the restaurant late and apologized. No worries. He mentioned that he was unemployed or soon to become unemployed and that this was typical for him to go through periods of unemployment. I was confused by this the rest of the evening. He railed against the health care system...his concerns seemed valid.  He moved here for a job, but was dissatisfied. He seemed pretty non-committal about pretty much everything. The conversation was strained and the date did not go well. We shook hands at the end of the evening and said "take care". I am still a little stymied by the evening. I've never met a lazy doctor, but his attitude seemed to be...I've become a doctor paid off my school loans, so now I'm just going to bum around and have fun.

Date number three was also with a physician, Wendell, 45, divorced, no kids. He was short. Now, I know I have no room to say a word about height, as I'm only five feet tall. But it was just weird to be eye to eye (I did have a small heel on). We had a nice conversation and he seemed cultured. He asked me out again and I said yes. We exchanged information and so now I wait. He is not someone I think I would normally go for. He's so old (well not really, but you know what I mean).

I just finished reading Marry Him, The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough by Lori Gottlieb.  It was good to get some new perspective. Although, I probably have some work to do; personally that is. While I did enjoy the book and found humor in it, I also found it depressing. You know, like there's no hope for me. I mean, I'm 37 and don't want kids. Not wanting kids is not a common Midwestern value, at least from what I've been able to ascertain. Which leaves me with older men who are either divorced with grown kids or older men who don't want kids. Either way, it leaves me with older men.

Well, tonight is date number four. He's 47. I just have to keep telling myself to keep an open mind.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment